This is meant to be a living document for performing releases of the bigdata project. See
Project releases are done as branches in SVN. The branch name has the general form BIGDATA_RELEASE_X_Y_Z which corresponds to version X.Y.Z. This way the project name makes it into the tag and hence into the directory when it is checked out from SVN. Use a branch for the release since there is an expectation that we will have to support the branch.
- notify developers that we are closing the branch down for a release and wait for the all clear.
- verify the CI builds.
- write release notes and commit in bigdata/src/releases.
- create a branch for the release in SVN.
- bump the version in build.properties.
- create a VERSION in trac for the release so people can file bugs against it (Admin -> Versions -> Add Version BIGDATA_RELEASE_X_Y_Z).